Poppy Patrols have described the poppy flower as an Elephant in the Flower Bed.
Can drying seedpods for a floral arrangement or sprinkling the poppy seeds on a muffin be a federal violation?
Seed producers became worried about being arrested for selling these flowers with the name, Opium Poppies.
So renaming them Breadseed Poppies made them sound safer from being questioned by the Poppy Patrols.
Eating a poppy seed dessert could possibly cause a drug test to be positive for opium.
I love the Seinfeld episode when Elaine eats some poppy seed muffins. She needs a physical for a pending trip with her boss. Her test comes back with a positive result for opium and her boss fires her. This was one of seven episodes that happened in real life.
This federal offense was once compared to ripping the tags off of pillows and mattresses “under penalty of law.”
My husband’s Wisconsin relatives were one of many families that sold home grown poppy seeds. The Poppy Patrol put a stop to many of these seed growing businesses.
Now we buy most poppyseeds for baking from foreign countries.
As a new bride, I believed the story about a successful marriage being directly linked to the husband’s contented stomach.
My mother-in-law shared with me, what has become our favorite poppyseed dessert.
- 1¼ cup Graham Crackers, crushed
- ½ cup Butter, melted
- ¾ cup Flour
- ½ cup Walnuts, crushed
- Cooked Filling:
- 5 Egg Yolks, large
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Milk
- ¼ cup Poppyseeds
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Add to Filling:
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 package Unflavored Gelatin softened in ¼ Cup Water
- 2nd Filling Mixture:
- 5 Egg Whites
- ½ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- ½ cup Sugar
- Whipped Cream topping (optional)
- Crust: Crush graham crackers and walnuts.
- Stir in melted butter and flour.
- Pat into bottom of 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes @ 350 degrees.
- Filling: Mix egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, milk, poppyseeds, salt into large bowl and microwave until thickened, approximately 15 minutes.
- Stir filling every 5 minutes.
- Cool filling to room temperature.
- Then add vanilla and softened gelatin.
- Beat egg whites until very stiff.
- Then add tartar and sugar.
- Fold this into cooked filling.
- Whipped Cream topping is optional.